Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Trying Not to Break the Baby: Registering Part I


We registered at Babies R’ Us and Target – whew, what an experience that was! For all you Sex and the City fans, you know that episode after Miranda has her baby and it’s Steve’s weekend with the kid? Steve starts to have a panic attack because he’s unsure of his ability to take care of the baby. Miranda tries to calm him down by explaining they have to take turns trying not to break the baby.


Well, this is pretty much how I’d summarize the registering experience: Trying Not to Break the Baby. It was so overwhelming to look at dozens of swings, pack-n-plays, strollers, exersaucers, etc. How do you pick the right one? And what if you pick the one that gets recalled? I just kept thinking I want something that’s going to make us and the baby a little more comfortable as we begin this new venture together, but the possibility of picking the “wrong” thing became very overwhelming very quickly.


Some of the best advice I’ve been given so far is that becoming a parent is a series of letting go that begins and conception and never really ends. That said, we moved forward, registered for the things we think we’ll need, a few things we won’t, and did our best to choose things that won’t break the baby.


No comments: